Thursday, April 29, 2010

Traveling with a disability

In a few weeks, Carolyn and I will be leaving for a couple of weeks in Hawai'i, Kaua'i to be more specific.  It will be the first time I have flown since becoming unable to walk solely with a cane and I'll have to admit that it has me worried.  Not only is there the concern of determining what official policies are but also the concern that sometimes companies don't know or won't follow their own policies.

For example, here is the United Airlines policy on transporting medical equipment needed by a passenger:


If I am medically disabled and need to check my wheelchair and/or other medical or assistive devices in addition to my suitcase, do I have to pay any fees in addition to the first bag service fee?


A wheelchair may be checked at no charge and will not count as a checked bag if it is strictly for mobility purposes or is required in order to make a living. Other medical and assistive devices are also exempt from service fees. The only fee that will apply is the first checked bag fee for your suitcase. Additional checked baggage fees may apply if you check additional bags.



That sounds fairly straightforward but will an airline official interpret it to apply only to my transport chair or to that and my rolling walker as well?  Should I even take both?



According to the price schedule of at least one rental company on Kaua'i it would cost us as much to rent a transport chair for two weeks as it would to buy one and check it through as luggage.  Has anyone had experience with this question?

2 comments:

  1. On a recent trip to Europe, I was carrying a cane while passing through the Lufthassa gate at Munich. Much to my surprise, I was given priority boarding. I have often wondered why American carriers are so "snotty" when compared with their foreign competitors. I will always book and travel on a foreign carrier rather than a U.S. firm. Does this make me unpatriotic or just a practical shopper?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Don, I have been given prioriy status starting when I had to use a cane on US airlines. But you do have to ask for diasabled assistance at the beginning on the trip. (Ask when booking and again at the first check-in). Some airlines take care of you almost as soon as you get off the plane when changing airlines and others make you wait around forever. We had to leave on our own once! But if you have documented you need assistance, and you are deemed too late to get on the next flight (and it is still at the gait) you will get on when you say you needed assistance and it was late in arriving.

    Now for the baggage question: I have taken both canes and a wheeled walker and/or manual wheelchair together. I use two canes when not in a wheelchair--one cane on each arm is required. I have never tried to take both a walker and a wheelchair. The wheelchair was "gate checked," meaning I used it to get to the entrance of the plane, then it was taken below and stored for the flight, and brought back up to use when I got off the plane. Canes were always allowed in the cabin, but the walker usually was gate checked as well. (Connecting airplanes are too small in the cabin for most such stuff.) The walkers can't be used on any planes I have been on--they are too big for the narrow aisles!

    A "transport" wheelchair is lighter and smaller, but must be pushed by someone else instead of you being able to get around by yourself. I would rather be able to get around by myself. When I was using a walker I was always looking at the ground to make sure I didn't trip since I have foot drop and would stumble over things on the walkway. I also did not walk as fast as others with me. So I slowed others down and did not see as much as I wanted to! So I would opt for the wheelchair instead of the walker--but neither do very well on sandy beaches...You need "biker's gloves" to protect your hands if you use a manual wheelchair.

    Be sure to take the cpap machine if it is helping you. There should be no charge for that but hassles might be decreased if you get a letter from your doctor or respiratory therapist saying you need one. I think there would be less security hassles if it were in checked baggage than in carry-on, but it might need to be opened to be allowed as "medical device" instead of "baggage." Be sure to pack it well.

    Have fun!
    Marilyn

    ReplyDelete