Wednesday, January 04, 2006

Cycles

Whether we like it or not a lot of our life is governed by cycles. We live in a cyclical society. I'm acutely aware of this right now in my voluntary position I hold as Treasurer of the Friends of the Sacramento Public Library. On January 1 we just completed a fiscal year, a calendar year, a quarter, a month, and even a week. There are things I have to do and reports I have to complete and checks I have to produce and sign, and information I need to collect. And all these things are due NOW. Everything is due NOW. I just spent two full working days and still have probably another two before I'm completely caught up with all the cycles. Hopefully, I'll have time to do that before one or more cycles comes to an end again.

On the other hand, cycles make this Treasurer job easier to grasp, easier to accept because it doesn't come at you all at once. With non-cyclical jobs such as writing a book or managing a project, you can be tempted to do too much too fast. The overwhelming scope of the job makes you feel just a little inadequate. But cycles chop the job into bite-sized pieces and apportion them out to you in little time-limited steps. I can't do next month's financials because the information won't be ready until next month. I can't do next year's tax report for the same reason.

So even when all the cycles come to an end at once like they did this week, I think I still like cycles.

Happy New Year!

1 comment:

  1. But you would not like cycles such as end of term cycles.
    They say,"What can I do to raise my grade?"
    I say, "Not much at this time.
    I think, "Come to class or Pay attention" or "Turn in you work" depending on shallow the gene pool is of the student talking to me.

    They say, "I turned it in."
    I say, "Then it will be in the return basket or in the no name file."
    I think, "I hope you don't reproduce."

    They say, "I missed the test 7 weeks ago. Can I make it up?"
    I say, "No."
    I think, "Are your parents cousins?"

    ReplyDelete