Saturday, January 28, 2006

My little REGgie


From time to time, you will hear me describe my wife as my little REGgie where the REG stands for “random event generator”. Often, seemingly out of the blue, she will suggest activities or do things that seem to me to be completely random in the sense that I have no warning they’re coming.

Sometimes it can be something as minor as breakfast. This morning she asked me how to make pancakes from our homemade pancake mix. By the time I got into the kitchen she had made the batter and was heating up the griddle. But to my surprise she had included frozen blueberries in the batter. I probably wouldn’t have done that in a million years and certainly not without asking her if she was in the mood for blueberry pancakes. But this is an example of her random events.

Heavy rain had been forecast for today so Carolyn had said last night that she expected to spend most of the day at the computer typing into her PDA database contact names and addresses related to her work. I had psychologically prepared myself to spend the day reading or playing the piano.


So it was with some surprise that she announced we should go to the Sacramento Home and Landscape Show at Cal Expo. Another random event coming my way. It took me a few minutes to psych myself up for this event which was likely to be cold and a bit wet. Even though all the exhibits are inside, the food and passages between exhibit halls are outside, exposed to the rain and wind.


Once at the Show we had a great time listening to sales pitches and watching people. It’s still too cold and wet to do much with our landscaping and we really don’t need much done to the house anymore. But we did purchase some things like a “Sweepa” floor sweeper and squeegee, some toys for grandkids to play with when they visit, a slicer/dicer gizmo that will shred potatoes much better and faster than our food processor the next time Carolyn makes latkes, and a super heavy duty, aluminum extension ladder that we’ve been looking at for the past several years.

I love my REGgie.

No comments:

Post a Comment