Sunday, January 22, 2006

A year with the Friends

A year ago, 52 weeks to be exact, Carolyn and I attended the annual meeting of the Friends of the Sacramento Public Library held at the Central Sacramento Library on 8th and I streets in downtown Sacramento. That meeting was memorable for two reasons – I was elected as the new Treasurer of the Friends and, second, Carolyn managed to out bid (and therefore committed to buy) more books in the fundraising silent auction than any other participant there. So it was with some interest that we attended the annual meeting this afternoon to see who would get the biggest greeting. Carolyn won.

It has been an interesting year moving out of finance and accounting at work and moving into the same area in a volunteer capacity. Oddly enough, no one at the Friends has asked about my background or seriously tried to find out what I have done for a living. They take on face value that I can keep the books for an organization which has annual revenues of over $200,000, a bank balance of $100,000, and manages an endowment trust fund of $300,000. I have to have all checks co-signed and I prepare and present monthly financial summaries at our board meetings. But otherwise no one has questioned my accounting skills. I’m just an assumed expert.

Fortunately, I do feel in my element and could defend all the books and records I have been entrusted with. I just wish I could get more involved with the projects that the Friends sponsor such as the Book Den – a used book store with a huge warehouse of books, Focus on Writers – a chance to encourage new writers to learn from experienced and published writers, and direct participation in Children’s Programs at the various affiliated libraries throughout the county.

As the concluding action of my first year as treasurer, I gave the treasurer’s report for 2005 making it as short as I dared while still mentioning the fiscal implications of many wonderful activities in which the Friends was involved. The next item on the agenda this afternoon was the nominating committee report. I was re-elected Treasurer.

And although she didn't have as many as last year, Carolyn again walked out with the most books.

No comments:

Post a Comment