Saturday, July 22, 2006

What next, old friend?


There are times when I really miss having a teenager in the house. I really do. Like when we need someone to climb up on the roof to check out a loose shake. Or shinny into the attick to find the leak in the roof. Or bribe with $5 to mow the front lawn when it's 95 degrees in the shade at 9:00 in the morning on Saturday and I'm afraid the neighbors are going to start picketing our yard.

Today I miss having a teen around the house because I'm having real separation anxiety from my old friend the 1996 Mercury Sable. We've been together for almost 11 years and 107,000 miles. It's taken Carolyn and me on several vacations and served as a connecting link between us when I first moved to Sacramento and had to commute to Long Beach every couple of weeks. I need a teen to adopt the Sable, drive it, and give it the care and love it deserves. I need a teen who will accept its faults and enjoy its virtues and just be glad he or she has some wheels.

The Sable has been parked in our front driveway since being repaired a couple of weeks ago. I drove it home from the dealer repair shop where they had given it a clean bill of health, passed the smog check, and said everything looked good. Of course, the "check engine" light had come on again just as I pulled into our cul-de-sac but that's been off and on for the past several weeks. The repair guys said it almost always relates to a emission control problem. The Sable has been sitting in our driveway because we bought a new Toyota Highlander Hybrid during the week it was in the shop.

This morning I drove the Sable around the block to renew old memories. As I remembered (and a main reason for getting an SUV) I had a difficult time getting into the Sable. I dropped the last few inches into the driver's seat. I had just as much trouble climbing out. The car started well and ran smoothly. The gas gauge showed full in spite of the half-empty tank. The ride was a little rougher than I remembered and the steering stiffer - both reflections on the smooth ride and easy steering of the Highlander. The sound system and air conditioning both worked great and, as you can see, the car's appearance really hasn't suffered for its 11 years on the road.

But, yes, my children are too old and my grandchildren too young. So the Sable sits in the driveway until I finally get the will to call our local NPR station about donating a wonderful friend and long-time companion.

2 comments:

  1. Actually Philip drives a pretty beat-up car and although Jenny's looks better, it gets terrible mileage and is not as reliable.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was planning to ride my bike around this Fall so I could leave the car with a teen (reliable 18 year old) who could bring the kids home and put them to bed on the nights I work late.

    ReplyDelete