Sunday, July 08, 2007

Underwear - it's a guy thing

It's a guy thing. As far as I'm concerned my underwear should be clean, comfortable, and out of sight. Anything else is just a bonus. If it has a few more holes than it had when I originally bought it, so what? If I can still figure out which holes are for my legs or my arms or head, what do I care if the seams aren't as completely sewn as they used to be?

The other day Carolyn bought me 8 new sets of underwear, T tops and brief type shorts. These are special "Mormon" underwear so she had to go out of her way to get them. So she was a little chagrined when I began pulling out of my underwear drawer the 6 sets that I already had - still in their original packaging. "But your underwear are falling apart!" she exclaimed. "So am I," I cleverly returned. She wasn't impressed with my attitude or my arguments. I like the new underwear. I really do. I just don't think it was all that necessary.

5 comments:

  1. I think I may have been the recipient of some of those old packages. But considering some (many) of my pairs dated back to my mission I guess I'm in the same camp as you.

    Incidentally there was a commercial (Mervyn's maybe) with almost that exact same line.

    "Women are like, 'I don't really need new underwear, but they would be so nice.' Men are like, 'Who cares how many holes my underwear have as long as my legs fit through a couple of them."

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jenny has been on me about this for a long time. I still have several pairs that went with me to Japan although I have gotten rid of the worst of them. I have at least 6 pairs still in the wrappers :)

    PL

    ReplyDelete
  3. Do I dare ask -- "What are Mormon underwear?".

    ReplyDelete
  4. Rather than try to come up with my own answer, I'll just refer you to http://www.mormon-underwear.com/ which has a decent, non-offensive definition.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Part of the reason I actually do Jon's laundry is because I took it upon myself early in marriage to be the guardian of his wardrobe. This includes disposing of the underwear when it reaches the point that I would be embarassed to have emergency medical personnel cut it off of him. I recommend that all women deign to at least wash the whites, if only for this reason.

    Incidentally, you don't have to go out of your way to buy your underwear. You can order it online from ldscatalog.com, but you need to get some membership info from your ward clerk before you can log on. Shipping is free, delivery time is 1-3 weeks.

    ReplyDelete