Tuesday, July 10, 2007

Seeing double

I installed a second monitor on our main computer at home expecting Carolyn to be impressed. All she said when she saw it was, "I wondered why you hadn't done this long ago."

She's right, of course. We bought our most recent computer over two years ago. There was really no option to get it without a flat panel LCD screen so we ended up with an extra screen that has just been sitting on the desk, dark, ever since we finished transferring all the info from the older computer and turned it off for good.

I decided to clean up all the cords and stuff from the old computer and it struck me that I could use the old monitor screen on the "new" computer. An article I found at C-Net, complete with video clips, really helped. I had to make sure I had a video card that was compatible with both the monitor and the new computer but that was fairly easy to take care of.

Configuring took a bit of time and we're still learning what happens when you begin a program. You can never be 100% sure which screen the program will open up on. But already I'm enjoying the extra screen real estate, especially with those operations where you'd really like to have two programs running, each open on the full screen. Now we can.

2 comments:

  1. Now that is handy! I figure on getting a laptop for my next computer (energy efficient), but getting a large lcd screen for times when I need more space would be cool.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have actually had this at work for quite some time now. Some people just close their laptops and work off the other screen but the sizes are similar so I find the extra space much more useful. I can have email or a spreadsheet on one and be referencing the material on the other. I have been pushing for the software to run 3 screens :)

    ReplyDelete