Friday, November 02, 2007

Keith eggs

You know, most of us will never have a building or a road named after us. We'll live our whole life without seeing a football game played in "our" stadium. Heck, we'll feel lucky to see our name on the arm of a theater chair knowing that we donated $250 to get that much "honor".

But I realized this morning that we could become "immortalized" much easier with a family tradition we started years ago.

This morning I was cooking breakfast for myself (having slept in an hour past Carolyn's wake-up call). I was interrupted by a telephone call from Carolyn describing what fortunately turned out to be a temporary emergency. During the call I, again fortunately, remembered that I had two eggs frying on the stove. Now I like my eggs medium to easy over which means that a little raw egg white bothers me less than having no raw egg yolk. Well, these eggs were fried, fried, fried. You couldn't find an uncooked egg molecule if you tried. When I mentioned the state of the eggs to Carolyn and she replied that [her brother] Keith would be glad to eat them anytime. It was then I remembered how in our family, after a visit from Keith, we had called well-done eggs "Keith Eggs" thereafter. It was understood by all. "Do you want your eggs over medium or would you rather have Keith Eggs?"

And even prior to that the Lenhardt family graciously shared with us a recipe for marinated chicken. The recipe had no title on it so it became forever after in our house (and in the family cookbook) "Lenhardt Chicken". It's that easy. If you share a recipe with us without a title and we adopt it into the family cookbook, you too can be immortalized.

2 comments:

  1. I guess my avocado milkshake never caught on...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hmm, I'm sure I would drink it and Tiffany might also, but naming a Brazilian Vitamina a Jonathan shake, I'm not certain that will catch on.

    ReplyDelete