Thursday, April 16, 2009

A Northern California Seed Catalog

What you see in the rest of this blog entry is NOT a seed catalog but actual pictures taken in our yard this afternoon. That's right, all of you who still have snow in the corners of your lot, eat your heart out. Of course, even if you have more temperate weather you might still be envious of me for having a wife like Carolyn who really has an eye for raising an absolutely fantastic flower garden. I also want to point out that you can click on each of the pictures for a larger view or to use for your computer background or screensaver.

Enough from me. You can now look at the pictures or the pictures and commentary (if I can get Carolyn to do one):


We have Calla lilies in the front flowerbed. I need to divide them so let me know if you would like a few for your garden.



This is one of several iris. They are always a surprise because someone shared bulbs with me and didn't know what they were. I'm delighted with each new color and variety.



Another peek at an Iris



This is the color I remember from my childhood. My mother had many flowers including a bed of Iris.



This is the beginning of our blue berries. I hope the fruit is as prolific as the blossoms. Notice how patriotic we are - red, white, and blue on one plant.



This is a step back from the blue berries so you can see the foliage.


These are just a few of our many roses. Our backyard currently has an arbor full of yellow blossoms.


The front flowerbed has a more sophisticated yellow rose. It isn't so rambunctious.


These are perennials that have survived from previous years. Sometimes they do much better when they have been around for several years.

This is a closeup. I don't have a lot of plan for my flowers, it is more of a 'see if they survive.' They have to cope with neglect and when there is a bare spot, something gets stuck into the ground.


The red roses have these wonderful long stems and when I take them to R.S. or work the ladies think I've purchased them from the florist instead of collected them from the garden.


This rose is a favorite. In the bud it is very red but as it opens up it becomes red and yellow and then on to white with a hit of pink. It is also very fragrant so my cubicle smells wonderful when I take these to work.


This is another view.


This is a sedate white rose in the front garden. Very prim and proper flowers. Actually they hold their color nicely and fill out bouquets.


The Pansies have been around all through the fall and winter and are putting a wonderful show before the weather gets too hot.


The snapdragons are big and boisterous. They've been in barrels with the pansies and looked lovely in the fall but now they are putting on a Spring Finale .


This bush looks pink but it is decidedly lavender in real life. It is the first rose to bloom and it does it with gusto. It will continue to bloom during the summer but the best show is the first show.


The lavender rose up close


These are more of the pansies. Notice the lady bugs on the flowers.


These are some new geraniums I have planted on the front porch.


They are in a large pot so there is plenty of room for three or four varieties


This geranium is an old timer from past years


This is one of the new geraniums. Is it cheating to photograph the blossom they came with from the nursery?


These are a new selection -- couldn't resist the pretty flowers at Costco. They are Nemesia and Bacopa. I've never tried them before but hopefully the will bloom and thrive.


These are another view of the Nemesia


Another color of Nemesia


The Pansy pot.


A not so 'purple' pansy


These are more of the snapdragons (they are so much fun to play with-want to come and sing with the snapdragons).



Just another snap


A few more pansies


Pansies trying to outdo one another


This is a very pale Iris


This is a carefully framed shot - you can't see that the arbor needs to be scraped and repainted.


The rose arbor from down under


This flower is abundant and flashy but it goes through it's cycle rather quickly.


You can almost smell this rose (careful, your nose is leaving a smudge on the computer screen).


This is another Iris surprise

5 comments:

  1. I AM extremely jealous!! We still have melting snow and cold! Beautiful flowers and pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Absolutely beautiful!!! Those pictures did look like they were right out of a catalog. Enjoy the flowers.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Did you have that many varieties when we were little? Maybe I dont remember because they were more spread out.

    They look amazing :)

    PL

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, what a gorgeous garden! I can't wait until I can have one of my own at my own house (hint, hint Philip!!!)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love flowers...the lilies are my true love - next to Tulips. If I get back up there, I will take some off of your hands. Mine didn't bloom this year, I think it gets too much sun. Colors the garden are so happy making!

    ReplyDelete