Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Another drop


One of the places I have enjoyed in Sacramento for the past 8 years has been the close proximity of a nice gym. Up until a couple of years ago it was really convenient for Carolyn and I to drop in and exercise an hour or so.  It has been more difficult for me since she stopped going.

For the first couple of years since my Parkinson's Disease diagnosis I still made it to the gym 2 or 3 times a week for a half hour workout on the treadmill or the stationary bicycle followed by a 1/2 hour exercise with the strength machines.  For the past 6 months I have made it to the gym 3 to 4 times a month.  So I cut back my membership to that of a "senior connection" status which restricts me to MWF 1 to 4.  The past two weeks have shown me that I won't be using even this restrictive schedule so I've decided to drop my gym membership.

This now joins Meals on Wheels as things I no longer do.

1 comment:

  1. Gym membership seems a waste of money if time spent for is not used. But exercise *is* important. May I suggest calling your local senior center? There are no income limitations (except their are two prices of meals in my area depending on finances). My center offers "chair areobics" classes 3 times a week in the mornings and once a week in the afternoon. Each classs is $1.00 and you pay only when you attend class. I am the only one in a wheelchair--two others use walkers and a few more use canes. We use stretch bands and hand weights for resistance strengthening and use balls for body movement and fun. You bring your own weights--the other equiptment is provided. Some exercizes involve standing up holding onto the chair for balance. (I don't do those). It is a fun time and I feel better after attending "class." Other forms of exercizing are also available--taichi for balance, stability, and immune function (seriously!), walking, line dancing, and square dancing. They have a singing group and classes in beginning and intermediate Spanish. They even had several sessions on writing memoirs (sp?). The minimum age at our center is 62. I tried exercizing at home, but "forgot" to do it most of the time! Having a set time makes it much easier, but you are not penalized for not going. Lunch programs can be on various topics. I don't do lunch because I am on a milk free, wheat free, gluten free diet!
    Marilyn

    ReplyDelete