Sunday, February 07, 2010

Schadenfreude

Schadenfreude is a psychological term meaning joy in the misfortune of others.  Naturally, as I sit here in my comfortable house, looking out the window at a perfectly blue sky and a comfortable 58 degrees, I wonder.  According to all the media the East Coast is suffering the worst snowstorm in decades and Southern California has had so much rain that houses are literally sliding down mountains.  I wonder.  Do I have schadenfreude?

And I've decided the answer is a clear NO.  I don't enjoy the misfortune of others but since there's not a thing I can do about the snow on the East Coast or the mudslides in Southern California, I might as well enjoy what I have.  There should be a psychological term for joy in spite of the misfortune of others.

No comments:

Post a Comment