Thursday, February 11, 2010

Home network file sharing

Have you ever tried sharing files between computers on a home network?  I haven't tried all the combinations of operating systems and I've had the most experience between XP systems and between XP and Vista.  My experience is that it works quite well.  I've had few problems.

But (there's always a "but" , isn't there?) I'm having a heck of a time trying to STOP sharing!  We're in the middle of migrating our operations from an old desktop (approximately 7 years old) to a new laptop.  Sharing files seemed to be a good way to get  used to the new computer without a traumatic cutoff.  By sharing our most active files we could access them from either computer until we felt comfortable just using the new computer.  Then we would move the files to the new computer and stop sharing, right?  Wrong

Getting comfortable with the new computer - no problem.  Moving the files to the new computer - no problem.  Leaving a copy of the files on the old computer as backup but renaming and relocating them - no problem.  Cutting the strings between the new computer and these old files - no go.  I guess I'll have to delete the old files as I've tried everything else.  At one point as I was trying to stop the sharing I got the wonderful message "You can't stop sharing these files.  Reason: You are still sharing some of these files."!!!!

Well, it turns out I know nothing about how file sharing works.  I thought a shared file remained on the host computer while users logged onto other computers on the network accessed the file through the host computer.  But when I deleted files on the host computer it didn't affect the "shared files".  The system must copy the shared  files onto the file system of the guest computer. So I'm not sharing those files anymore and I didn't need to make my own copy.

No comments:

Post a Comment