Wednesday, September 20, 2006

Callback


Callback n - more fun and games at the Davis Musical Center Theater.

At the end of the evening of auditions, many (if not all) of us were invited to come back on Tuesday evening for what was called "Callback". I have no idea what to expect since we weren't asked to prepare or bring anything. Since we were dismissed at different times, usually by way of a quick word from the director, we don't even know who else has been invited back until we see them again.

The crowd is slightly larger than the Monday evening group. I think there are two or three that aren't here but there are several new faces in their place. Many of the others seem just as puzzled as I am about what is going to happen.

It turns out that the audition evenings were primarily to separate out those who cannot carry a tune and therefore won't be assigned parts requiring singing. However, that doesn't mean they won't be in the play. Tonight, the purpose appears to be deciding who can sing a solo. This is done by having, for example, all the men who might play Mr. Bumble gather around the piano to rehearse "Boy for Sale". The song is completely new to me but I feel like I have a handle on it when rehearsing. However, when performing it solo, the pianist plays just enough accompaniment to keep me on tempo but no melody. My music sight reading is good but not that good. I'm a little discouraged but continue to accept tryout roles throughout the evening.

In between the musical trials there are more reading exercises, groups of two or three with a small section of the script to practice with and then read for the director. I'm intimidated by the obvious acting experience my fellow auditioners have. And some of them talk like they've just stepped off the boat from 19th century England. How can I compete with that?

I manage to stay until there are only a half dozen of us. Then the director thanks me and says the casting will appear on the website Thursday evening. She turns her attention to the others still there. No hints, no promises, no "thanks but no thanks". I'll just have to wait.

No comments:

Post a Comment