Friday, September 08, 2006

Thirty-nine wonderful years!

Thirty-nine years ago the most wonderful thing in the world happened to me. Carolyn and I were married for all eternity. At least that's how we feel about it. Families being together forever sounds too much like an Erma Bombeck vacation description but being together with Carolyn for the rest of this life and whatever comes next is really something I can visualize. For one thing, we have had the past five years to live together without the blessings or the baggage of family and friends accumulated during the past 60-odd years. And we've found that we really like each other.

In the past 5 years I've been able to nurse Carolyn through some major surgeries and life-altering medical crises. She's been able to support me through one of the most disappointing periods in my corporate career. I've been able to enjoy seeing her thrill at trying on several new jobs that took varying advantage of her many skills. She's been able to help me enjoy testing the waters of retirement.

We move around the kitchen like a team. We finish each other's sentences and thoughts. We act like horny high-school kids when we are alone or have only our kids to embarrass. We've learned how to give each other space while keeping in touch. And when one of us messes up, we've learned to laugh about it and do what we can to minimize the consequences.

Happy anniversary, darling. And here's to many more!

1 comment:

  1. It's funny, I've been your daughter for 30 years now and it still always surprises me when your anniversary comes arround.
    Happy Anniversary Mom and Dad!

    ReplyDelete