Friday, September 29, 2006

Digital explosion

Apparently someone thinks my retirement party won't be dull enough so they want to get some pictures of my past to really put people to sleep. I, of course, have nothing to hide except the fact that I have gained 60 pounds since getting married some 40 years ago and most of that in the last 20 years. Well, maybe I should say I'm pretty sure there's no photographic evidence of anything I may or may not have to hide.

One of the reasons for the lack of evidence is that photos were just not as common in the past as they are now. Film and processing was expensive so we were careful in selecting what warranted capturing for posterity. Now digital photos are so inexpensive as to be virtually free.

In order to help out with this photo presentation, I reviewed the 14 slide trays that I have been scanning into digital form as well as the pictures I have taken in the past 8 or 9 years since I began using a digital camera. And the difference is astonishing.

From 1966 to 1980 or about 14 years, we managed to take enough slides (that being our preferred picture taking mode back then) to fill 14 trays. So approximately 1,400 slides and roughly 100 slides per year. Of course, some years might have had 200 and others less than 50. We weren't very systematic.

From February 2006 to September, I've taken 1,582 pictures on my camera alone. Carolyn has taken 585 pictures with her camera during the same time. The total amounts to about 310 pictures per month (10 per day) and will come to over 3,700 pictures if we continue at the same pace for a year. In other words, we are taking almost 40 times as many pictures as we did in the 60's and 70's. What a legacy we're leaving for our kids! Thousands of pictures and most of them with only a date attached - no description, no place, no nothing.

No comments:

Post a Comment