Tuesday, January 23, 2007

The aftermath

I knew, of course, that after participating in an actual production at the Davis Musical Theater Company (DMTC) it would never be quite the same going to see plays. So it was with some surprise that I felt nothing different when we recently saw a performance of "Steel Magnolias" at the Chautauqua Theater. And it was then another surprise that I really felt different when we recently saw the performance of "Mame" at the DMTC. I think it has something to do with knowing the layout of the theater, the style of the production staff, the schedule of the rehearsals and tech week, and, yes, many of the cast members. As "Mame" played out, I could easily visualize myself in a couple of the roles or as an additional member of the ensemble. After the play we congratulated the cast who came out to greet the audience and all the members I knew from Oliver greeted me by name. I felt part of the company even though I hadn't participated in this play at all. And I felt that maybe, just maybe, I'll try out for another part some time.

No comments:

Post a Comment