Sunday, January 14, 2007

Evolving flashlights

One of the presents I found in my Christmas stocking this year was a very handy flashlight (upper left in the picture) - one that doesn't need batteries. Of course, the big advantage of such a flashlight is that in an emergency you won't be surprised to find your batteries dead and the flashlight all but useless.

When I went to put the new flashlight away I found that we have at least been consistent through the years. The first thing I found was flashlight 2 (upper middle in the picture) in the glove compartment of my car. Then I found flashlight 3 (upper right in the picture) in the computer room closet. And finally, flashlight 4 (bottom red in the picture) in the kitchen "junk" drawer. All the flashlights work - after a fashion but I was struck by how they have "evolved" through the years.

Flashlight 4 (the red one) has a squeeze handle which, when pumped, powers the old fashioned flashlight bulb. When you stop pumping, the light goes out. There is a small flywheel so that you have about a second of light before you need to pump again. But that is virtually continuous effort.

Flashlights 1, 2, and 3 all are built similarly with a crank on the bottom and three white LED lightbulbs. And all claim that 1 to 2 minutes worth of cranking will allow up to 1 hour of continuous light. Quite an improvement over number 4. With number 3 you can select 1 LED or 3 with the light intensity varying inversely with the length of time before you have to recharge. With light 2 you have the option of 3 LEDs steadily shining or 3 LEDs plus 2 red LEDs flashing. Light 1 is at the top of the evolutionary design. You have the option of 3 LEDs either steadily shining or flashing PLUS independently an AM/FM radio and a shrill alarm sound. I wonder what next year's improvement will be?

1 comment:

  1. I doubt the 1-2 minutes giving continuous light business. I use mine while walking the dog. I charged for two minutes tonight and then used it mostly in the blinking mode. Still it was too dim to be useful after about 10 minutes. Better than the flywheel that only gave enough time to get back to the next squeeze, but hardly an hour.

    ReplyDelete