Tuesday, January 30, 2007

A sucker for gadgets

If you know anything at all about me, you know that I'm a sucker for gadgets. A gadget, according to Wikipedia is:
a device that has a useful specific practical purpose and function. Gadgets tend to be more unusual or cleverly designed than normal technology. In some circles the distinction between a gadget and a gizmo is that a gizmo has moving parts, whereas a gadget need not have them. For example, a nifty digital watch would be a gadget, while an analog watch would be a gizmo.
Philip and Jenny recently gave me one of the better gadgets I have seen in some time. Yes, it is a desk clock with date and day of the week, but it also includes a countdown timer and an alarm clock and a thermometer. And the trigger to display each of these modes is gravity. Turning the clock 90 degrees changes the display mode between the four options.

And the kicker to the whole thing, it is powered by a battery that claims to be water driven. Instead of the usual AA battery, there is a green and clear tube that one fills with water to "charge" the battery. I suspect the water is just a gimmick to provide enough of a conductor for a real battery hidden in the green part of the tube but maybe some chemist out there can set me straight about how a water battery really works. In any case, I'm delighted with my new gadget.

1 comment:

  1. I am glad you like it. When I saw it was a 'water powered" clock I thought it would be based on water flowing through the clock at a specific rate. With the surface tension of water I didn't know how that would work but I thought it sounded like something you would enjoy. Please share if you find out about the battery.

    ReplyDelete