Tuesday, March 13, 2007

Google Me, Google You

Ever since Google has been around, it has been a popular sport to "Google" friends, business contacts, potential dates, etc. to get a little "low down" on the person in question. Not exactly like a fighter "sizing up" his opponent but not quite so flagrant as one dog sniffing another either. It certainly surprised me to find a couple of my teachers at American River College knew stuff about me that they could only have discovered by googling me.

Almost as much fun for some people has been the act of googling themselves to find out what others would be able to find out and sometimes to discover their "Google Twin". I was a little shocked to find that I have 274 entries with one form of my name and 114 entries with another. And not a single "twin".

Actually, that's not completely correct. I knew from past experience that there is an Arnold W. Loveridge in Henderson, Nevada but he doesn't come up unless I google my first and last names separate. And when I do that I get all sorts of entries of Arnolds and Loveridges that aren't even connected. I tried to call my "twin" once when we were passing through Las Vegas but got no answer.

Until just a short while ago, the only person in our immediate family who had a Google Image was my son Lee. Now Steven and I show up in the Google Image search.

2 comments:

  1. Sadly my picture will probably be leaving. It is already down the list a bit. One of the fringe benefits of being a professor I guess.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Of course my picture is there because of the Blog and my numerous book reviews on Amazon.com.

    ReplyDelete