Wednesday, March 28, 2007

Sacramento Organization for Rational Thinking

Our Critical Thinking seminar leader recently invited the class members to attend a meeting of the Sacramento Organization for Rational Thinking (SORT). I probably wouldn't given it a second thought because I'm not much of a "joiner" and I couldn't imagine how attending such a meeting would enrich my life or what I would be able to contribute. I was concerned that it would be something like attending a meeting of atheists discussing the non-nature of God.

But the meeting place happens to be the La Sierra Community Center, which is less than a mile from our house. I could walk there in a pinch. And I had a free evening. Carolyn was out of town so I couldn't even use the excuse that I needed to stay home with her. Plus, looking at their web site, I enjoyed their article on "Misinformation at Your Fingertips".

So what do "rational thinkers" do when they get together? Well, this time at least, there were about 20 members of the group (including some like me from the Critical Thinking class) who sat around a rectangle of tables discussing "health care in the United States". I guess I expected a little more structure such as a short presentation or a panel presentation followed by response and/or discussion - sort of like they do at symposia. Instead, the discussion leader opened the meeting by stating the topic and everyone who wanted to, said their piece - sometimes in response to previous speakers, often not. One member of the group tried to sort out and announce who was next to speak so everyone didn't try to speak at once but his system of sorting that out was not obvious to me or my neighbor who was constantly raising his hand but rarely called upon.

After close to two hours of random digressions and personal opinions the discussion leader announced that time was up and we adjourned for coffee, soft drinks, and cookies. A very strange meeting indeed. But rational.

1 comment:

  1. That sounds like it should have been featured in a Lemony Snicket book.

    ReplyDelete