Monday, March 05, 2007

Some thoughts on the US Postal Service

You know, just when you're about to give up on government agencies one comes along that is a pleasant surprise. This week I've been impressed by the US Postal Service.

The first instance was a news announcement that first class postage rates will likely be going up 2 cents in May. That is neither surprising, nor pleasant. But along with this announcement was the announcement that the Post Office would be selling "forever" stamps with no denomination that would be good for first class postage "forever". This is a brilliant, and long overdue, idea. Since they have the money paid up front, the longer between the stamp purchase and use, the more the Postal Service earns on the money. The "forever" stamp would be a hedge on inflation for both customers and Postal Service. The pessimist in me says they'll mess it up somehow, but for now it looks good.

The second instance came about as the result of my signing up late for a Critical Thinking Seminar with the Renaissance Society. I missed the group purchase of our textbook so I ordered it through Amazon.com. I was prepared to wait 5 to 9 days to receive the book per the Amazon shipping instructions. Not only was I surprised and delighted that it took only 3 days but I received detailed tracking information from the time I placed the order until it landed in our mailbox. They didn't lead the way, but the Postal Service is trying to keep up.

No comments:

Post a Comment