Friday, February 22, 2008

The Internet is Unbelievable!!

I have to relate this story. I hope I can make it understandable. As background you need to know that the Apple iPod which uses iTunes as a PC interface allows a user to associate "cover art" with an album or even a single piece of music. I think it definitely enhances the experience to be able to see the Album cover for a piece of music you're listening to.

Now the track names for many albums have been cataloged and the cover art for somewhat fewer albums can also be obtained from Apple. I've found the next best source of cover art is Image Google.

Over 40 years ago while in Germany I recorded a collection of humorous German songs and readings. When I found that tape recently I uploaded it into iTunes. Naturally, I didn't expect either the track names or the cover art to be in the Apple database. But, wanting to see what was available, I used Image Google with the search words being the name of the German album: "Liebe ist besser als Krieg" (Love is better than war - remember this was the 60's we're talking about).
Not only did I find the cover art for that particular album but I found the track names and background material for the album itself. The only thing better would have been to get the actual lyrics and poems with their English translation! But to find this kind of information about a foreign record 43 years after it was produced - priceless!

1 comment:

  1. I think a lot of people would agree love is better than war. However, most heads of state (most of which are men) prefer to make love (which looks like the two in the cover art have are their minds)to their spouse or mistress than to other heads of state - leaving them with the option of make war with them instead.

    ReplyDelete