Monday, February 25, 2008

Preserving the Past

Sometimes I feel like that old joke about the obsessive -compulsive accountant who cleaned out all his files by sending them to be shredded. However, before he did so, he alphabetized them and made copies of each record for the archive and the backup archive.

I'm currently in the process of making CDs out of our old Superscope Storyteller tapes because (1) the tapes are disintegrating, (2) some of our grandkids might enjoy hearing what their parents had for amusement on long road trips, and (3) I hate to see something that was such a part of our family history disappear.

I thought we only had half a dozen tapes still around so I thought the project would be a snap. However, as I was feeding those six tapes into the computer Carolyn found another 30 or so in the case that we had them in for so many years.


If you're interested, I'm using a program called Polterbits in conjunction with my sound card to record the tapes and then do any minor cleanup. I only tried two but found this one so convenient that I didn't look any further. This program works with any input into your sound card. They're stored on the computer as MP3 files which saves 95% of the space they would otherwise occupy.

The biggest problem I've found with the tapes is the little pad that is supposed to gently press the tape against the playback head. You can see a little black pad that is ready to fall out of the cassette on the left. On many of these tapes it is missing or nowhere close enough to the head to do its job. The result is that you lose all your high frequency spectrum and the tape sounds like it's been recorded at the bottom of the ocean.

It appears that a small piece of packing foam wedged under the tape in that crucial area as you see on the right hand picture does the job just fine. It made an incredible difference in the quality of reproduction. I found that I had to make the fix on 90% of the tapes. Of course, there were some tapes which have been played so much that it would take much better equipment to rescue them.

Anyway, I hope you understand what I meant about making two copies of something that we'll subsequently throw out. Of course, doing a little fix like this is better than replacing the tape in a new case.

Now, if the books were just in as good a shape as the tapes.

19 comments:

  1. Staci, while working at Lakeshore, redid the books (some of them at least) and put the recordings on CD for re-release. The books are essentially the same with the colors improved, the match up with the recording improved, and they are slightly larger. The recordings are exactly the same. So just think, if you do get new books, they'll be something your daughter in law worked on.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's a great idea. I can't think of any reason the grandkids wouldnt enjoy the We Sing Silly Songs tapes any less than their parents. Assuming the DVD player and game boys are on the fritz. I know Jenny would like to have them too.

    Philip

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ooh, that is really cool. My mom recently gave me some tapes that we listened to as kids on road trips as well, and I'd like to do the same thing so that Gavin can listen to them as well! Thanks for posting about this and how you did it!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi, I googled storyscope & found your comment on the Storyscope tapes. I have 5 little kids who would love these stories & am wondering how or if I could copy them them from you? my hubby is techy so maybe he'd know how/ Thx-Stefanie(anderzen71@gmail.com)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Me too! Would love to have these again to share with my kids, would you be willing to sell a copy of the cd? I loved them so much as a child, wished I had gotten to keep them. Staceyg903@att.net

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am also looking to have these for my childeren. If you are willing to sell copies please email me at tink_thebell@hotmail.com.
    I loved these stories. I soo wished that I kept mine also. I would like to be able to store the stories on my Ipod if possible.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi! I stumbled upon your blog when I was searching for Superscope Storyteller books. Would you be willing to sell copies of the recordings? If so, please let me know at aliciacrain8@gmail.com. I had 3 of these books growing up (Thumbelina, Beauty & the Beast, and The Little Mermaid). They were precious to me and I kept them for years, but with my mom remarrying they were given away. It would be wonderful to have them for my kids. Thank you so much!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I would also love to purchase a copy of any recordings you have made - please let me know if this is possible! I loved listening to these stories when I was little, and my 5 year old is now enjoying the few tapes and books I still have. It would be amazing to have these recordings on CD. Please contact me at christianjess@gmail.com if there is any chance of buying these from you. Thanks!,

    ReplyDelete
  9. I grew up on these stories and would love to share them with my children. Please contact me roshanda.Wilkins@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry all lowercase
      roshanda.wilkins@yahoo.com

      Delete
  10. Hi Arnold, I found your blog while searching for the Superscope Storyteller Tapes. If you are willing to sell me a copy , please contact me at Juan0609@hotmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Arnold, I have been searching for the Superscope Storyteller's The Little Mermaid and The Selfish Giant. They were lost during one of the many moves. I would love the storybooks and accompanying audio. If you can help me acquire these, please contact me at wsting1@yahoo.com. Take care.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi Arnold - I am also wondering if you are selling the mp3 audio/CD for these. I loved this as a kid and would love to have copies for my son. babycynthia@yahoo.com Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi Arnold! I wondered if you were selling the mp3 of the storyteller audio or cds. I fell asleep to these every night as a kid and would love to share them with my kids. Thank you!
    Rebekah@theganieres.com

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi Arnold! I wondered if you were selling the mp3 of the storyteller audio or cds. I fell asleep to these every night as a kid and would love to share them with my kids. Thank you!
    Rebekah@theganieres.com

    ReplyDelete
  15. I would like to send a PM but can't find your e-mail address. I'd be ever so grateful if I could obtain a copy of "The Little Mermaid". Could you possibly help me? Thanks so much.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hi Arnold, found your blog and was wondering the same thing as many others here. I have all the books and tapes but am missing the tapes for the Bremen Town Musicians and Alice's Adventures Through the Looking Glass, The Land of the Red Queen. If you have recordings of these two books I would love to purchase them from you. ydlaird@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hi Arnold...I came across your blog. I fell in love with the little mermaid as a child. When I had children, I was obsessed. I got them a whole collection of the superscope story teller books & tapes so they could experience what I did growing up. This was in the 90's. Then...Katrina hit. I lost all 30+...are you still selling by chance your MP3's of these? I so loved listening to these with my children (remembering my childhood) now have 2nd cycle of nieces & nephews..grandbabies too whom I'd love to share these with!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hello Arnold. I too fell asleep with these as a kid and I’m not techy to do what you did to transfer from tape to mp3. I would be so thrilled to purchase a copy or send me one with a very generous donation. Please email me at Joshuamooremusic@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete