Thursday, February 07, 2008

Just a coincidence?

This is an example of what I do on Tuesday mornings in doing the "pick list" for the library. As shown, the listing on the right gives enough information to positively identify the book requested. The most confirming data is the barcode as it is unique to each book..


(If this close-up is still too small, click on the image for a larger version.)

The reason for showing this particular image is that it is an example of a book that I have read and now find on the pick list. I would guess that about 90% of the days that I work at the library, the list that we work with has one or more books, tapes, disks, etc. that I have previously checked out. I read Heinlein's "The Moon is a Harsh Mistress" 40 plus years ago but I have also recently listened to this cassette version. When you consider that the average number of books on the list is about 180, it's amazing to me that there is so much overlap.

Of course, even more frequently I note books that I've picked for others that look interesting to me. I request a hold on them and usually I get next in line.

No comments:

Post a Comment