Tuesday, February 19, 2008

Thoughts come drifting back

Funny how the human memory is organized. I was recently uploading some CDs into iTunes and listening to some of the tracks as I was doing so. Suddenly, I was a 4th grader square dancing with my classmates and even calling some of the dances. The tune was Alabama Jubilee, a song I probably haven't heard for years. I had seen the name as one of the tracks but it really meant nothing to me until the music started playing.

My parents were active square dancers for several years including my 5th and 6th grade years. Square dancing styles change throughout the years. At that time, the singing call was popular and, in fact, many square dance records (precursor to CDs) had a dance number on one side with a caller giving the dance moves designed for this number. On the other side would be the music only so a local caller can call the moves.

I was interested enough in the mathematics of square dance moves that my mother made me some square dance shirts and Dad, who called many dances, taught me calls for tunes such as Alabama Jubilee, Hot Time in the Old Town Tonight, I Want a Girl Just Like the Girl That Married Dear Ol' Dad, and the Robert E. Lee. It was enough of a novelty that seven kids from my classroom were enlisted to join me in a demonstration square. I recorded the call and then danced with the other kids. They made a big deal of it but except for staying in tune and following the rhythm there was nothing to calling. And the dances were all pre-scripted sos it didn't take much to dance the right moves, especially with someone telling you what to do.

Good memories.

No comments:

Post a Comment