Thursday, April 17, 2008

Customer Service

One of the things I really like about our telephone/cable TV/internet provider is that they have a fairly convenient customer service office open from 9 to 6 daily. If you have a cable TV box that you think is not operating, you can phone for service and set up an appointment for a service person to come out, test and replace the offending box. Or you can simply take the suspected box into Surewest's customer service office and receive an across the counter replacement - FREE. And they take the customer's word that something was wrong.

When recently our flat screen TV developed a buzz in the right audio channel, we were concerned that we'd have to haul it back to Costco and we had just disposed of the packing box. Well, my son Steven worked on it with me to the point where we thought the problem was in the cable box. It appeared to give out a bad right audio signal or none at all.

The next day that I had time available, I took the box to Surewest's customer service center and easily and quickly had a replacement box. Back home I plugged it in and ... same problem. I couldn't believe that there would be two boxes broken in that particular way but no other explanation made any sense. Then I noticed that the new box had come with a cable that included an S-Video connection. So rather than using the old cable, I swapped in the new one - first without using the S-Video connection and then using the S-Video. Both modes worked perfectly.

I still can't figure out how we got it working at all with problem cables. But I don't question success and this was a success.

No comments:

Post a Comment