Friday, April 25, 2008

Volunteeers' Banquet


Today I attended the 34th Annual Senior Nutrition Services Volunteer Recognition luncheon. Of course for me it was my 1st Annual luncheon as shown on the certificate above. So of course I had no idea what to expect. When you're delivering Meals on Wheels from a site like Folsom which has only one driver, you just have no idea how large the program is. Even at Orangevale there were only two other routes and a dozen or so seniors who come in to eat their lunch. I have visited the kitchen in West Sacramento so I knew the program is rather large but I didn't know until today just how large.

According to the program for today's event they were honoring 758 volunteers who were involved with serving 7,219 seniors 611,193 meals during 2007. Of the 758 they didn't say how many were drivers and how many were on-site volunteers but together they volunteered a total of 68,422 hours last year or a little more than 90 hours each.



Each attending volunteer was given a goody bag of chocolate covered pretzels (that looked suspiciously like left-over Christmas candy), a certificate of appreciation, and a couple of the pins shown here.




The meal was excellent - something called Fresh South of the Border Salad. It was sort of like a fancied up taco salad with chicken. The entertainment (not unexpected for a Latin fiesta) was an authentic Mariachi band.

When I first got there, there was no one I recognized but since we were sitting by congregate meal site, I did know where I was supposed to sit. Eventually, three of the other drivers I've gotten to know as well as our informal coordinator showed up.

Nice job, Senior Nutrition Services.

No comments:

Post a Comment