Thursday, April 10, 2008

Farewell & Good Luck

Roy (with blue shirt) and the Administration Managers

I rarely write about work or anything connected with it because people might take my comments the wrong way. Since I still work at the regional center one day a week, that is a bridge I don't feel like burning just yet, if ever. There is a famous story involving a blogger named Dooce who found that her fellow employees and her employer were not amused by the amusing anecdotes she told. I suspect that in her stories she took artistic license and used comedic exaggeration but the stars of such anecdotes are never amused by deviations from the truth or even deviations from their version of the truth.

But I'm writing to say farewell to Roy Doronila who will be leaving Alta California Regional Center the end of this month. He replaced me as Chief Financial Officer when I was transferred from that position to ostensibly coordinate Regional Center efforts with a proposed computer system enhancement called CADDIS. My transfer was akin to a Colonel being given a Lieutenant's job. Roy could have treated me like a Lieutenant but he never did. He gave me the utmost respect, insisting that others in the Center do the same. He made sure that I had all the privileges that I formerly had. He asked my opinion on many things and, in general, made me feel that he was glad I was still around, if only for 1 day a week. I think he fully expected me to ask for more time and I think he was disappointed when I said I needed to limit my time at the Regional Center.

Roy has accepted the position of Chief Administrator at North Bay Regional Center. He is replacing another good friend of mine Bob Hamilton who was recently promoted to Chief Executive Officer at that Regional Center. If I were 10 years younger I might have applied for that position myself. Roy told me about it about the same time he must have applied but he didn't tell me he was applying. I'm sure Roy will enjoy the change in scenery and the lower stress level of everything at North Bay. They're smaller with only two offices instead of our nine.

As I am now reporting to Roy, my job will necessarily change with his leaving. It will be interesting to see who replaces him and if I will report to the new person. If so will he or she still want me as a 1 day a week consultant I guess I'll cross that bridge when I come to it if it hasn't been burned it by then.

2 comments:

  1. I didn't know Dooce was so famous. I did check her blog out and found it funny. ("My hair color isn't real and you still have sex with me" Heh Heh, funny line.)

    Not that I expect it would happen, but what would you do if Alta asked you to leave retirement and return to the post?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, Dooce is in the Urban Dictionary as meaning lose one's job because of your blog or something like that. I've been following her blog for the past 3 years or so. Besides being funny, it portrays the life of an author going from obscurity to relative fame; a mother discovering the joy of raising a little girl; and an ex-Mormon living in the heart of Mormondom (SLC) and coming to terms with what that means.

    As to your question about my work, the chance of being asked to return is about the same as President Bush stepping down before next Jan. But, hypothetically speaking, if I were asked, I would do it with an annual contract. I've put too much effort into making my current retirement schedule work for me to just work a month or two and then be discharged without compensation.

    ReplyDelete