Saturday, April 26, 2008

What am I missing out on?

I don't know about anyone else, but I have really enjoyed the national Do Not Call registry and the number of phone calls that I don't get to answer because they are never made. But there are loopholes that allow some callers to continue to harass us. As it says on the registry web site:

The National Do Not Call Registry does not limit calls by political organizations, charities, or telephone surveyors.

....

A telemarketer or seller may call a consumer with whom it has an established business relationship for up to 18 months after the consumer's last purchase, delivery, or payment - even if the consumer's number is on the National Do Not Call Registry. In addition, a company may call a consumer for up to three months after the consumer makes an inquiry or submits an application to the company. And if a consumer has given a company written permission, the company may call even if the consumer's number is on the National Do Not Call Registry.


One exception that really jumped out at me was "political organization". Those were really obnoxious when we held our presidential primary and they'll certainly get worse this fall. But the calls I really hate are those than hangup as soon as they hear the answering machine coming on and those that aren't on the line even if you pick up the phone on the first ring. My understanding is that an automatic dialer rings our phone then when I answer, it begins looking for a telemarketer to hand off the call. And here is where the title of this blog comes in.

As I was paying the phone bill this morning I noticed under Services Provided a service called "selective call rejection". Here was something I had been paying for as part of a package and I had no idea we had that capability. Just then the phone rang and I could see from the Caller ID that it was one of those callers who are never there when we answer and they never leave a message. It was time to try out the selective call rejection.

I looked up the instructions on the Surewest web site. Adding the latest number was easy as was turning the service on. I think I'm going to like this feature. Now, what else am I paying for but not using?

1 comment:

  1. Oh, I gotta get me that. If I had a penny for every time I have run in from the back yard to get the phone, only to really wish I hadn't bothered....

    ReplyDelete