Wednesday, July 16, 2008

Bookbinding 101 - unit project




Rather than taking a class at our community college this summer, I'm taking a "class" from a master bookbinder. We hold once a week classes in his workshop. Until now, this has been pretty much a "look but don't touch" experience but that has now changed. The book we're currently working on is "Easy Steps for Little Feet" by Annie White, published in 1903 and pictured above. While there are things that the book needs that I don't know how to do, there are lots of things I can do. As you see in the picture below, I"m ironing the edges of the pages that have gotten so frayed. I've also removed the adhesive and yellowed cellophane tape as well as much of the remaining residue. Cleaning the spine and the "boards" (front and back cover) will be next. I'm looking at all these things as unit homework.

"Easy Steps for Little Children", is a book of bible stories that I grew up listening to and reading. But the book became so damaged that we put it away. I'd like to get it in good enough shape to share it with my kids and grandkids.

No comments:

Post a Comment