Thursday, July 17, 2008

Suspected Deep Vein Thrombosis

Deep Vein Thrombosis or DVT as it is known to physicians who worry about such things is not something you want to have or even be SUSPECTED of having. I found that out in a little scary exercise today.

For the past three or four weeks my left legs has been somewhat swollen (see picture above). I didn't really think that much of it since it wasn't painful and didn't even show that much when I wore shorts. Carolyn had to point out to me that the swelling was enough that my anklebones disappeared as did most of the toe tendons. However, the only time it really got inconvenient was when I had to readjust the straps on my beach sandals to get the left one to fit over my swollen foot. So when it refused to shrink back to the normal size, I decided it was probably time to see the doctor. Even as late as 8:00 this morning, my doctor still had a couple of appointments left, one of which fell right between Meals on Wheels and chausfeur the kids from school to swimming lessons.

I obligingly took off my shoes and socks so that when the doctor asked "what is the problem?" all I had to say was "my feet and legs". He looked and then spent the next 10 minutes writing up my condition, scoring an assessment of probability of DVT, then finally putting together an information and treatment package to rule out DVT. Then, on the chance that it is something else, he had to write up a treatment plan for that something else. The part that scared me was the part that said, "If your ultrasound test is positive, go to the Infusion Center if it is open, otherwise go to the emergency room to begin infusion treatment." They also said there was a possibility I would have to be hospitalized based on what the ultrasound showed.

What the medical staff were saying in so many words was that I had a high probability of having a blood clot in my leg. A clot in a leg is not really a problem. A clot that breaks loose and drifts up to the heart, the lung, or the brain can be fatal or very disabling. The doctor was appalled that I was doing vigorous exercise with my swollen leg this past month.

Of course, I still had care of the boys and needed to get Carolyn to take over for this afternoon.

Fortunately, my tests turned out negative so no hospitalization was necessary for me this time. I do have two new medications and a suggestion that I keep my legs elevated whenever possible. I guess we'll see if that makes any difference.

3 comments:

  1. Boy, you guys are having all sorts of exciting medical near-misses this summer. Better than medical disasters, but still...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had lunch with Carolyn on Tuesday, and she didn't say a thing about the LWP incident - I wonder why? 8^)

    Glad your tests came out negative.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The newly-published 2008 clinical guidelines for physicians from the American College of Chest Physicians (ACCP) on how to treat DVT and other forms of venous thromboembolic disease are available as a complimentary download at http://www.thenewguidelines.org

    ReplyDelete