Saturday, July 05, 2008

Jury Duty

I got an official summons for Jury Duty a couple of weeks ago. This is the first time I've gotten such a call since I've retired so I was almost excited at the idea that this time I could serve for weeks and weeks without having to worry about my job. But, alas, it wasn't to be.

According to the Summons, Sacramento County, like most, if not all, California courts uses the "one day or one trial" system for juror's. That means that if you sit in the jury room for one day and don't get called onto a jury, you're excused. You've filled your duty for another year. However, if you get called onto a jury, you're stuck until that trial ends. I was rather thrilled that my week of service was only a four day week.

When the initial notifications came out, I saw that there were about 49 groups this week and about a fourth of the groups were assigned to s how up Monday morning, another fourth on Tuesday morning, another fourth to check back on Tuesday evening, and the fourth that I was in to check back on Wednesday evening. That meant I was definitely free for Monday through Wednesday I had a low enough number that I expected to be released Wednesday evening. Instead, the group I was in was told to check back on Thursday evening!! I couldn't believe they were trying to hold us in reserve for the holidays.

Late Thursday afternoon, I checked and found we were finally released and they had already posted the next week's groups. I missed out for this year!

No comments:

Post a Comment