Tuesday, June 23, 2009

Father's Day gifts

Once again my family has surprised me on Father's Day. I assure everyone that I have everything a guy could want including a wonderful family. Even though I try to not say anything about something in an ad or newspaper article that I might like but still I'm surprised.

Like Steven and Lisa found this clock that melds two of my interests - clocks and math. It's a normal sort of clock except that where the numbers would normally be, there are mathematical symbols.
Here's a better look at the face of the clock. If you didn't already know the numbers on a clock's face, how many of these could you solve?

But my big surprise for the weekend (not counting Philip & Jenny's news) was a soda pop maker that Carolyn gave me. I've been jealous of Woody for such a long time as he would brew up a quick batch of cola or orange or lemon-lime soda pop and I couldn't find anything like it in California.

Then recently Carolyn saw an ad in a Kohl's flyer for SodaStream. This is a yuppy-looking company that appears to be marking this soda maker as green (environment friendly) and the resultant product fresher than soda bought in a bottle or can. Anyway, I sort of forgot the ad, although I did intend to check it out.

The device requires specially designed bottles and CO2 tanks rather than generic supplies. And it only makes 1 liter at a time. It does it fast enough that I estimate you could serve 10 people a liter of soda each in five minutes. So far we've been happy with the taste of the diet cola and one of the fruity kind. I'll report back after we use it for a couple of weeks.

3 comments:

  1. OOOh, I'm already jealous of the soda maker!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So why does it go from 6 O'clock to -6 O'clock?
    Lee

    ReplyDelete
  3. Using modular mathematics like any good clock does, the starting and ending point are immaterial (mod 12). The irrationality of 9 o'clock is more troubling to me.

    ReplyDelete