Sunday, June 28, 2009

Handymen on Wheels

When you're an experienced man making regular house calls to vulnerable women, it's bound to happen sooner or later.... he's going to be asked to fix something!

Last week I had Don as a ride-along (he would make such a good driver for Meals on Wheels). We were about half-way through delivering the meals when the woman said, after taking the meal from us, "Do you two know anything about lamps?" Now I've fixed dozens of lamps in my lifetime and I"m sure Don has, too. He was faster asking , "Which lamp?" Linda showed us and demonstrated the problem.
The switch was worn soo that sometimes it made contact and the bulb lit up but most of the time it would just slide on by.

Since we were sure this was going to require a part, we didn't want to take up any more time at Linda's place. Instead we just took the lamp with us.

For the next couple of stops, I drove while Don used theLeatherman toolkit in my car to disassemble the lamp switch so that after we were through delivering the meals and turning in our paperwork we could visit Orchard hardware and pick up a new switch. Don was a little surprised when I suggested we test it before taking it back to Linda. But since I had the 110 power inverter in my car, it was a snap to test the lamp.

Ten minutes later Linda was so happy with a lamp that worked and we had had fun fixing it.

2 comments:

  1. I just love the happy endings

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm sure you and Don made Linda's day a better one. Nice thing for you to do!!!

    ReplyDelete