Saturday, June 06, 2009

What do you say to a naked lady...

When you're delivering Meals on Wheels?

I know what you're thinking. And, yes, all of my customers are "older" women (it's actually unusual not to have at least one man on the route) who, like me, "have seen better days". But older women still have an appeal to older men and Ms. XX is definitely one that still appeals. But I'm getting ahead of myself.

Like I've done hundreds of times, I rang Ms. XX's doorbell and waited for some indication that someone was home. She lives alone without any pets that I know of so she's either home or she's not. As I was about to press the doorbell button again, I thought I heard "Just a minute". I waited some more.

I heard rattling noises and saw the doorknob turning. I raised the green cloth reusable grocery bag that I carry the meals in. I reached in and removed the hot meal container as the door opened. "Oh, this is awkward," I heard her say. When I looked up there Ms. XX was, one hand on the doorknob and the other desperately holding a towel around herself, a towel that was barely up to the task. "I won't look," I lied, handing her the hot meal box. She released the doorknob and took the box. "I wasn't expecting you this early." I looked at my watch -- maybe 10 minutes earlier than my usual time. Then I remembered that I was subbing for another driver. "Got my meals earlier than usual," I replied and handed her the cool meal accessories box. She ducked behind the door to set the hot meal box down so she could grab the cool box. "And a nice large banana," I said as I handed her the last of the meal.

"I'm so embarrassed," she said with a smile that said the same thing. Then, her hands both occupied, she said, "Could you please pull the door hard so that it will lock." I walked back to the car shaking my head. That was definitely one for the records, I thought.

No comments:

Post a Comment