Friday, October 16, 2009

Broken Communication Line

I belong to at least 3 e-lists which is approximately equivalent to 3 newspapers. Each of these three are hosted by yahoo groups. One or more members of the e-list is designated the administrator. That can be a real headache if he or she chooses to be hands on such as approving new members and new postings or it can be almost nothing if you let the elist run on automatic.

Since I don't know who managed the elists I belong to so I don't know whether this is a people problem or a system problem. For a couple of years now, I have been receiving a weekly newsletter from the Renaissance Society. When it stopped coming last May, I attributed that to the end of the semester and didn't think further about it.

Then the other day a fellow student said she'd learned of a special event posted in the newsletter. It then occurred to me that I hadn't received the newsletter lately. Seems that our email account was blocking some of the messages from the elist. So the provider simply shut down my participation in the elist without giving me any warning.

Fortunately, there was a self-help reset process so I was quickly up and going but I've lost all the newslettters since early May.

No comments:

Post a Comment