Tuesday, October 27, 2009

Helping the handicapped

I suppose this is something that will change through time as almost everything does in my world of Parkinson's Disease but I have been struck lately with the impression of just how poor most of us are equipped to handle or help people who are "differently abled". (I think that's the politically correct term for handicapped nowadays.)

For example, I virtually always use my 4-wheeled walker to walk anywhere outside our house. I guess it virtually shouts "handicapped! watch out! handicapped!" Some people seeing me coming their way will hurry to a door we're both planning to use. They hurry so they can hold it open for me or (rarely, but it does happen) so they can hurry through fast enough that they "didn't even see me". Worst of all, of course, is the "helpful person" who pushes or pulls the door out of my hand throwing me off balance.

Fast food places like Taco Bell, In-and-Out Burger, who normally just call your number to come and get your food will bring it out to me without even asking. They just assume I need the help. It is patronizing but nice as well. Today at Taco Bell, one of the patrons jumped up from his food to help bring my tray over to a table. I thought maybe he was going to insist I eat with him but he didn't even make the suggestion.

But the most surprising reaction to my disability came at the health club/gym that I still attend. I like to use the stationary bicycle since walking is painful. I had left my towel on one of the two stationary bikes in the equipment room to "reserve it" while I went to get a glass of water. A man coming into the room just as I was leaving the machine shouted, "You left your towel!" It isn't noisy in there so he must have thought that my leg problem affects my ears, too. I explained that I was just reserving that machine, then, realizing he wanted to use that machine, said I'd be just as happy using the second machine.

When I got back with my water he was using the first machine. I mounted with some (the usual) difficulty and he hopped off insisting I use his bike. I told him I was just fine and when he saw I wasn't going to change bikes, he walked off in disappointment. We've seen each other around the gym for years and he's never acted like that to anyone, let alone to me.

Handicap makes people act funny.

1 comment:

  1. I think you are right....most people just don't know how to handle it. In general, I think most people are trying to be kind and helpful.

    ReplyDelete