Friday, October 09, 2009

The world gets smaller and smaller

I walked into Sam's Club yesterday afternoon for lunch (3-meat pizza) and a gallon of milk. They had cotton hoodies for sale for $28 and since it was right on my way, I tried one on. It felt both light and warm and the hood was a nice feature. I probably wouldn't even have bothered except that Arden Fair Mall, one of the major malls in the area, has just banned wearing a hood in the mall. You can wear the hooded coat, just don't cover your head with the hood or you're out of there. I can't imagine a reason to wear a hood in a climate controlled mall anyway.

But what struck me about the coat was that it was made in Vietnam. I've gotten used to buying things made in China and the baltic states buts Vietnam still surprises me. I think I'm going to get an outline map of the countries of the world and start filling the countries in from which we have purchased items.

Then while removing the tags I had to chuckle - the tag was "green" in that it was made from recycled material. The big coat wasn't but the little 1" x 3" tag was. I wonder if they hope that gives them credit for trying.

No comments:

Post a Comment