Thursday, October 22, 2009

No Longer an Apprentice


Well, almost anyway. As you may recall from past posts, I am learning to be a bookbinder. My instructor and guru is Pat Bruno who mainly binds valuable antique books. If he had his way he wouldn't touch a book worth less than $100 because even the slightest repair is probably going to cost his a couple of hours and $50 to $100 in supplies and equipment usage. So naturally he isn't really happy to have me waste that much in supplies and even if my time is really cheap, his isn't.

Anyway, he's a very "show you" sort of instructor while I'm very much a "do it" sort of learner which leads to the following scenario: Pat shows me how to put the hinge cloth (mesh, crash, or super as it is sometimes called) on a book then gives me a book to try it on. I start but make a mistake in technique or order or placement and he immediately takes back the book and shows me how to do it again. A couple of weeks later he again hands me a book to put the cloth on and again within second he has asked for the book back and finishes the task the way it should be.

Fortunately for me he has needed to be out of his bindery more often frequently allowing me to finish several steps on several books. I hesitate on some repair steps until he is outside hovering around the door so that if I do make a mistake he can pull it apart while it is still wet. Other steps that I feel very comfortable with so I do them as soon as he walks out the door.

I think Pat knows what I'm doing because he doesn't complain that I've done a step without him. It's more a disappoinment that he didn't see me in the act. Yet ne knows he would have taken it away from him. I'm going to make it yet.

3 comments:

  1. Is the today show that you get your information from the one linked to comedy central?
    Wikepedia says, "it is a fake news show" geared to satirical and is really comedy. Please tell me you were joking if this is the today show you get your serious info from.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Politifact is an arm of the print media, The St. Petersburg Times. As such it is suspect and will bear watching and comparing with other sources, as any good historian will do. Why am I always logged in as anon? Don

    ReplyDelete
  3. No, I get my serious news from the Sacramento Bee and Newsweek with fill-in news and analysis from the internet portals of CNN and MSNBC. The Daily Show is indeed "fake news" and they admit it on the show. The irony is that often they're more "real" than Fox News when compared to other legitimate news sources. And most of their humor is derived from comparing actual footage from other news shows. Now we all know that can be rigged so you have to take it with a grain of salt.

    As to being logged on as Anon - that's because you're such a great writer. Anon is credited with so many great poems and essays. Seriously, after you post a comment you have to selecta profile of who you are. If you have a GMail account and are logged into it, that is the easiest way to get your actual name. Thanks for commenting.

    ReplyDelete