Friday, October 23, 2009

Pomegranate Jelly

I was absolutely amazed with our Pomegranate tree this year. I thought I had killed the thing last year when I attempted to prune it such that it would be tree-like rather than bush-like. I pruned it to a few longer sprouts in the center and eliminated most of the side pointing branches. But he branches I left didn't grow significantly and the tree put out dozens of side branches. I was sure we wouldn't get much fruit.


Surprise, surprise the yield was much more than expected. I thought we get a dozen or so to add to the ones we get from the neighbor's overhanging tree but instead we got from our little tree 4 times what we got from the neighbor's tree.


Of course Carolyn wanted to make good use of the fruit and gave quite a lot of it away. She was still left with enough to fill 5 dozen half-pint jelly jars and have half the fruit left.

2 comments:

  1. I had two little tiny ones, and one medium sized one on my pomegranet tree.
    But, it is in a large pot, and will be put in the ground soon so next year I will make jelly.How does Carolyn find the time?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Pomegranats are the fruit with juice wrapped up with a seed inside. The juice is pricey because it is so hard to get the juice out! So how did you do it? Use a colendar or a rolling pin?

    ReplyDelete