Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Another resignation

Most of us think of April 15th when we think "tax time" but for some of us other dates are just as important or even more so.  For example, 1099-Misc forms have to go out the end of January to all  non-employees who have been paid more than $600.  That means that I as treasurer of the Friends of the Sacramento Public Library have to survey all of our branches and compile a list of the clowns, magicians, cyclists, weavers, artists, etc. who have been hired by the Friends branches during last year.  Last year I sent out 23 forms but this year the library took over the payments in late summer.  It looks like I'll be sending out 6 or 7 1099's.

Another date coming soon is the tax service season when the AARP tax advisers start helping the elderly and poor submit their tax returns.  That season runs from February 1 to April 15.  Of course these volunteer advisers have to be trained.  Some training started right after New Years.  Since I did this last year I attended the "returning advisors' class" which started yesterday and ends tomorrow.  I went yesterday and today but I won't be going tomorrow.  I resigned.

Physically, I'm having more and more problems keying but it is the mental exercise that finally convinced me I didn't want to fill out four or more tax returns every week from February 1 to April 15.  Last year it was exciting.  This year it is already drudgery.  It's sad to have to give it up but it wouldn't be fair to co-workers if I took twice as long to complete a tax return and it would certainly not be fair to our clients if I messed up their tax returns.

No comments:

Post a Comment