Saturday, January 02, 2010

Let your little light shine

We've had a design difficulty in our living room almost from the day we moved in.  The corner just opposite the doorway is dark.  We've had a corner table in that corner but nothing seems to work with the rest of our decor.  Nothing seemed to work both during the day and after dark.


 
About two years ago Carolyn saw this lamp in Bakersfield but she took her time in actually purchasing it.  She bought it today at Big Lots!

With the light off and just the ambient light the lamp does not overwhelm the table decor or the rest of the room.


With the lights on the corner is even more welcoming without having too much light.  This highlights the vase we got at Christmas for my final resting place.







Here's a closeup of one of the lamps.  I like it because it is light and crystaline with an effective light diffusion scheme.

The only difficulty with this project were (1) that Carolyn and I had to construct the individual lamps, and (2) Carolyn fell over backward removing the corner table.  She hit her head on the coffee table clock and the corner table landed on her.  Fortunately, nothing broke or was permanently damaged as far as we know.

5 comments:

  1. You got your funeral urn for Christmas!? I know that you like to plan ahead and I think someone should have as much input into "final preperations" as they want, but I hope that you got something fun too. At least it wasn't a casket. That would have been impossible to store.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I dunno, I'm pretty sure I've seen a casket being used as a coffee table. A little macabre, though. Arguably, so is the urn, but I'm all in favor of planning ahead.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hopefully Arnold is better at long term planning than short term.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think instead of an urn you should get a fancy puzzlebox. Not that anyone would want to open it again but it fits your personality.

    ReplyDelete