Sunday, January 23, 2011

And introducing . . . Spice, the walker with a little Dash

Carolyn and I recently attended a Conference in Palm Springs (about which I really do intend to blog one of these days).  Besides the information and network connections we made there, we purchased yet another walker to help me stay on my feet as long as possible.
The walker is made and sold by the Dashaway Company headquartered in the San Fernando Valley.  I've decided to name her Spice (Dashaway  => Mrs. Dash => Spice, get it).  Spice sort of looks like a walker rearing up on its hind legs and it's height is one of its best features.  The moment I tried it out, I felt transformed.  Instead of arching my back over my walker and being in danger of the walker rolling out from under me, I stood tall and walked almost as easily as I used to pre-Parkinson's.  In fact, in the open spaces of the Renaissance Hotel where the conference was being held, it felt like I was 50 pounds lighter.  I could (and did) walk and walk and walk.  What a difference! The braking system is "reversed" - they're on by default.  You have to squeeze the brake controls to go. That, by the way, makes it a handy device for supporting in place exercise while allowing movement around the exercise facility.

With this walker and a handy bin (not available from Dashaway) sitting on the seat, I was able to walk around the Library for 2.5 hours last Tuesday, picking up books that had been requested. It's been a while since I walked that much and I was really tired afterward but I proved I could do it.

Spice isn't perfect.  Because of the added height she tends to tip over easier when rounding corners.  Her wheels are too small, making mountains out of the smallest of molehills.  And because of her no-tread rear wheels, her brakes are less effective than they might be.  I can easily slide on our entry and kitchen floors.  Finally, she is overpriced, probably because it has been targeted to the institutional market rather than the consumer market.

5 comments:

  1. Looks like Ben, Michael or Perry could work on their inventing merit badge (I am the merit badge counselor for it) by designing a better walker.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a cool merit badge! Maybe they could invent a device to let me watch TV or access the internet while I'm out walking with my new walker.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for an objective review. It's so hard to find anything buy glowing praise.
    Any further updates since January?

    ReplyDelete
  4. but glowing praise, not buy glowing praise. Sorry

    ReplyDelete
  5. After 3 months, the walker is still working well although a bit looser in the joints. I've also noticed that the reverse action brakes have the disadvantage that once you release your grip that's the maximum braking setting. You can't "release them harder" whereas normal brakes can always be squeezed a little harder.

    A couple of airplane rides has also not been kind on the machine, pulling loose one of the grommets on the underseat bag.

    ReplyDelete