Thursday, January 13, 2011

Memories

Memories are such fickle things.  I can't remember from day to day what I'm supposed to be doing and I use a checklist system at work to make sure that he reports I produce are valid.  Sometimes, I really think I am losing my memory.

Then, out of the blue,  my memory surprises me.

Last week a colleague was telling our lunch group that he had played something for New Year's Eve that was a lot of fun.  He'd never heard of it before.  Played on a wooden board about 4' by 4' with netted holes on the side almost like pool or billiards but you used your fingers to snap the cue ring rather than a pool cue.
I thought immediately of Carom which we had for years and played once or twice a year on average.  But something stuck in my mind that as a kid I played the same game with a different name.

Four hours later I had it.  Can you remember Crokinole?  Actually, the two games are different.  Conveniently there are two sides to the board.  Crokinole is sort of like shuffleboard or horseshoes in that you take turns trying to occupy the center spot or knocking your opponent out of that spot.  Carom, like pool, has the objective or sinking your pieces in the corner pockets.  They both were fun games.

No comments:

Post a Comment