Sunday, October 29, 2006

The Apple Hill gang

My wife recently informed me that our local church ward has a tradition of visiting Apple Hill and asked if I wanted to go along. I thought it would be a fun thing to do. The "Apple Hill" part I understood since Carolyn and I had gone up there two or three times in the past five years. Apple farmers in the area sell some of their recent harvest to people such as us who enjoy a day in the country, often with a picnic at one of the farms. Artists and entrepreneurs hawk their wares at booths set up at many of the farms. It is all a festive atmosphere sort of like a state or county fair without all the noise and dirt of a fairgrounds.

What I didn't understand was that the "tradition" in our ward was pretty much a tradition involving the women only so I was the lone man in the group. If people had known we were Mormons it would have just reinforced the stereotype of the Mormon patriarch with his many wives.

It was such a beautiful day though, that I certainly can't complain. Conversation rarely got off onto purely "women" things and the company was quite delightful. Besides, by being along I got a chance to influence the purchase of a couple of potential gifts for me this coming Christmas.

1 comment:

  1. Rachel once got invited to a book club in Berkeley, and I read the book and came along, not realizing it was a women's book club. Luckily the host's husband was there getting the refreshments ready, so I actually had someone to hang out with.

    ReplyDelete