Sunday, October 22, 2006

Retirement, Resumes, and References - Oh My!

Now that I've been officially retired for two weeks, I finally am getting down to the business of collecting information on various volunteer opportunities. And I'm finding that it's not all that unlike hunting for a job. You register at various places that coordinate volunteer opportunities. You fill out and mail in applications. You prepare a resume that includes both your work experience and your volunteer experience. You ask people to provide you with personal and professional references - with the emphasis on the personal. And you worry about which positions you should accept and which ones you'd like to think about for a little while.

Already, the Friends of the Sacramento Public Library are putting slightly more pressure on me to become more active with the Book Den, our outlet for used books that always needs more people to help with the weekly sorting of new donations. And, of course, the time commitment for the play Oliver! is also increasing as we come closer to the opening night.

I want to get things in place but don't want to overcommit and find myself as stressed as if I were still working full time.

No comments:

Post a Comment