Sunday, October 15, 2006

New work clothes

After just a week of retirement, I realized that there is a consequence of my action that I hadn't expected. It's not really surprising but I hadn't thought that far ahead. When you get a new job, often the first thing you do is get some new clothes for the new position. Not only do you want to make a good impression but the dress code might be slightly different from what it used to be.

When I worked at the hospital suits and sports jackets were expected. I rarely left my office without a coat on. And going without a tie would have been unthinkable. When I began work at Harbor Regional Center I didn't think my position warranted any different sort of clothes but I was told rather quickly by several people including my boss that I was "overdressed". Shedding the coat was no problem except that I quickly discovered that I needed more than just a shirt and tie in the air-conditioned offices of the regional center. Thus began the tradition of my trademark cardigan sweater.

When moving to Sacramento with the very same job, I discovered again that I was overdressed. I could have gotten away with wearing a tie every day although people would have thought me "stuffy". Besides, I decided I liked the more relaxed atmosphere of Sacramento business casual.

Now, in retirement sweaters and button-down shirts look just a little too dressy again. And I find that I just don't have enough pocket polo shirts, shorts, and chinos. I had to search my closet for a tie to wear to my retirement party. I'm so far from the suits and sports jackets that I can't even imagine going back to that as everyday dress.

But I'm not ready for the bathrobe and jumpsuit of the nursing home either.

No comments:

Post a Comment