Tuesday, June 05, 2007

Identity crisis

I was turned down at the blood bank today. I've been donating 2 units of plasma each month for the past several months but today they deemed my blood pressure just a bit too high to start the process. I rushed home to use my home blood pressure meter to verify that I was higher than normal (my normal). I wasn't.

Now I'm faced with a dilemma. Do I make another appointment knowing that it is a 5 mile drive out of my way to make the attempt and knowing that there is now a good chance that they will turn me down anyway? Or do I decide that I've done my bit for humanity having donated about 3 gallons of whole blood and 1 gallon of plasma during my lifetime? Do I give it a rest or keep trying until they tell me to give it a rest?

As I weighed the question, I realized that I was dealing with my self identification. I am what I do and one of the things I've always done is donate blood or blood products. If I can no longer do that, am I diminished?

I think I transitioned so easily to retirement because of all the substitute activities I now have for full-time work. And the fact that I have voluntarily chosen these activities. But what happens when I can no longer practice some of them and the choice isn't mine to make? Will I then experience the feelings of being fired or laid off? Again and again?

1 comment:

  1. I think it just means you now have more of yourself to invest in other activities. I always find there are too many interesting activities/hobbies out there to do in a lifetime, but as I have to give up one I take up another.
    In your case, you could offer emotional support to people in the hospital and hope your kids pick up the slack in the blood donation area. If you don't get to do normal bike riding, maybe a recumbant (sp?) bicycle or something in water.
    I traded most of my video game time for a baby and although I will miss the play I wouldn't reverse the decision.

    PL

    ReplyDelete