Monday, June 18, 2007

Insurance drug benefit


For many of us, our medical insurance is pretty much taken for granted until we are between jobs and have to pay 100% of the premiums or do without. And we certainly take note when we visit a doctor or an outpatient clinic or, heaven forbid, actually go in the hospital for a major operation. With our Kaiser Permanente plan we usually don't even see a bill to know how much we have benefitted from the insurance.

But we do often see the savings on our pharmacy sales slips because Kaiser, like Safeway or Albertson's lists on the sales slip "You have saved $xxx by shopping with us today." When I picked up the first 100 days supply of my Parkinson's disease medication, I was a little disgruntled that they asked for $15 copay instead of the usual $5 (because my physician had specified a brand name product). But when I saw the sales slip that I was getting $1,000 worth of medicine for $15 I shut my mouth.

I don't know what Carolyn's medications are costing us but this ($10 per day) easily beats all my other medicines in cost per day. And certainly makes me glad we have insurance.

No comments:

Post a Comment