Wednesday, June 13, 2007

Mr. Wizard


Don Herbert made an impact on my life and never knew about it. I’m sure that I am just one of millions, though, so it isn’t surprising that he wouldn’t have know me. On the other hand he was one of the few radio, movie, or TV personalities that I can say have truly made a difference in my life.

Don was known on television and to the 100,000 members of his fan clubs as Mr. Wizard. His weekly television show "Watch Mr. Wizard" aimed at grade school kids of all ages was a favorite of mine. Although he began in 1951, it wasn’t until several years later that we had a TV set in our house. But I recall watching movies of his show in school even before we could watch him on TV.

Mr. Wizard used words like “magic” and “mystery” but he was always careful to explain that this magic of science was available to anyone to open the mysteries of the universe. After catching our attention with something like floating a needle on water with surface tension, he would then carefully explain what is at work here. There was something for the youngest kids to enjoy and the oldest to ponder.

“Mr. Wizard” ran for 14 years from 1951 to 1965, for one year in 1971, and on Nickelodeon from 1983 to 1990. I think it’s safe to say he influenced more than one generation to become scientists or at least appreciate the scientific method. I think I’ve considered myself a scientist ever since watching him for the first time.

He died Tuesday, June 12, 2007 at the age of 89.

4 comments:

  1. Does anyone know if Bill Nye the Science Guy has commented on Mr. Wizard? I don't think I have ever seen more than clips of Mr. W., but they must be peas in a pod.

    ReplyDelete
  2. From CNN.com Chat

    Question from Doh: Bill, what "drove" you to create the Bill Nye show? Did "Mr. Wizard" have any play?

    Bill Nye: Oh, yes. As I said, Mr. Wizard, Don Herbert, sent this country to the moon. I had dinner with him a few months ago, and he told me he was very pleased my show had come along to carry the torch. It was really moving for me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That CNN interview with Bill Nye was in Sept 2000.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I figured there must have been a connection between the two. Wish I could do their job!

    ReplyDelete